Translate

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Notes from New York

Four fabulous days in New York City flew by like tumbleweeds in a Texas windstorm. I walked the grid in Midtown Manhattan between 8th and 5th Avenues and W. 59th to 34th Street (Macy’s, of course.) The current cold front was a common topic of conversation with the locals along my trek, and a question I repeatedly answered when they found out that I lived in South Dakota was, "It's just as cold there, isn't it?" No. It is not. The frigid air in New York City is not given the option of moving quickly across the plains, it becomes trapped within the skyscrapers and high-rises, swirling along the sidewalks like icy Tasmanian devils biting your ears and nose. And, I would never walk for blocks in the South Dakota cold. No point in that as there really is nothing exciting to see along the way.


I was in NYC to attend the 2011 Writers Digest Conference, a powerhouse of editors and agents imparting wisdom to hungry aspiring authors. I would not have missed it for...shall we say – all the tea in china, because I have a tea from China from Manhattan story. As I scurried along Fifth Avenue, darting in and out of stores to stave off the onset of frostbite, a tea shop caught my eye, and as a tea enthusiast, I gladly entered.  Behind the counter, surrounded by shelves laden with tea tins, stood two lovely Manhattanites. I told them my preferences - Chai for morning, green for afternoon, and something snoozy before bed. Tins were pulled from the shelves; tea scooped out and ceremoniously placed under my nose. "How much is this?" I asked, breathing in the seductive spicy notes of India Chai. "$9.52 an ounce." Okay, I'll take an ounce. The nighttime tea smelled like heaven - licorice, coriander, ginger and anise, a perfect concoction for sweet dreams. $14.25 an ounce. A bit pricey, but still within my budget, so I purchased an ounce. The green tea I selected smelled like freshly cut grass. Not the aroma you would typically associate with tea, but it stirred up my olfactory receptors, producing pleasant memories as a child rolling down a hill in the park, an adolescent swimming at the public pool, and a woman watching a shirtless man with bulging biceps mow her lawn (my ex-husband, not the gardener). "Okay," I said. "One ounce." "It's rare, from China," said the impeccably coiffed sales clerk. "Even better," I quipped. She clicked the keys on the register with her enviable manicured nails and looking me right in the eyes, announced, “$77.57.” The other clerk turned to look,  gauging my reaction. I forced a smile, swallowed hard, gave her my hard-earned cash, took my small bag of assorted tea and returned to the cold. The sparkle of New York diffused slightly with that transaction; it slipped from a shiny ten down to an eight in need of buffing, then bounced back to a dazzling ten that afternoon as I watched the Broadway play, La Cage aux Folles. Very much a newbie, I already understood the love/hate relationship that defines New York City. I have yet to try the green tea. At $53.80 an ounce, it should be saved for a special occasion. Right? On the other hand, I don't know anyone who might enjoy drinking freshly mown grass.

Back to the conference. I am a faithful reader of Chuck Sambuchino's blog, Guide to a Literary Agent, and he was the moderator for the event. Loved his style, his looks, his dry wit, his remarks - he is the poster man for the literary world. Janet Reid, agent and Query Shark. She. Was. A. Riot! The woman you want for a friend. If you are having a bad day and call her to complain, she will either chew you up and distastefully spit you out or make you laugh until you pee your pants. Donald Maass was very soft spoken and I found myself leaning forward in my chair, gaining an inch in proximity so I would not miss a single word. Really. He is that good. If he represented me, I would have to say ten Hail Mary's every night and I am not even Catholic. Richard Nash, Keynote Speaker. A tad too dry for my taste, but I will admit he exists on a higher intellectual plane than I do and just when I was wondering if he was going to make a point, WHAM BAM, he did. The man is a reading, writing, and publishing guru.

The Pitch Slam was a grueling, sweaty event - over 500 writers and 50+ agents crammed into a ballroom that didn't quite accommodate the long lines of anxious writers. By 4:30, the agents’ smiles seemed contrived and their eyes were beginning to glaze over. Except for one. She was continually wiping tears of laughter from the corners of her eyes as she listened to a pitch from Chris Sandahl, the gregarious young writer/comedian who made everyone laugh at the "Ask the Agents" Panel. Looking over my list of agents, I was wondering who I should get constructive criticism from next when I decided to forgo a pitch in order to meet a woman that I admire - Regina Brooks, the first African American woman in history to graduate with a Degree in Aerospace Engineering from Ohio State University. She worked at NASA before making her mark in the publishing world; obtaining a degree from Howard University Publishing Institute and founding Serendipity Literary Agency. Her list of accolades is long and impressive, including working with underprivileged women and children. We spoke for thirty seconds and I found myself rejuvenated. I got my groove back. When the final three-minute bell rang, she gave me her business card – the only one I obtained that day.  Her parting words, "Let's stay in touch," ended the pitch slam on a perfect note.

I met many wonderful writers and New Yorkers, some I will remember and some I won't, but I will never forget the illuminating passion shared by all - for writing and for New York City.